Image Map

2.13.2014

Homemade Lattes

Teleworking in this weather means I'm starting my morning with a deluxe breakfast that includes a homemade latte. I have my best friend Jenn to thank for introducing me to this brilliant idea.

First things first: Lattes at home do require an equipment investment. Jenn and I have the Capresso frothPRO, a small, easy to use device that only costs around $50. It will allow you to froth enough milk for up to two lattes in about two minutes.


But let's go ahead and make some lattes, shall we?

I use Ferrara instant espresso. You can be classier and own a Nespresso, or a stovetop espresso pot, but around here, instant espresso works, since I always have it on hand for baking. And it's really fast if I want a latte while I'm getting ready for work.


For one drink, pour one rounded teaspoon of espresso powder into a mug. Bring water to boil in a teakettle, and fill the mug halfway to two thirds with water. The espresso powder will dissolve instantly.

At this point, you can add some flavor syrup. I usually keep things plain, but this morning I added a tablespoon of ginger-vanilla syrup.


It's simple to make: Combine 1 heaping tablespoon freshly grated ginger, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Once sugar is dissolved, let syrup sit, then refrigerate for a week or two. You obviously want to handle this part of things well in advance of actually making your coffee.

You can vary this up a lot too, adding cinnamon sticks, using different extracts, omitting ginger, etc. Or you can buy flavor syrups, whatever floats your boat.

Now, fill your Capresso to the max froth line with milk. Hit the froth and warm button, and let it spin. In a minute or two, you'll have a cup of delicious, frothy milk, which you can pour into your mug of coffee:


Scoop any extra foam on top of your latte, and enjoy! We both owe Jenn one.


No comments:

Post a Comment